View our Image Gallery
Famed architect Monsignor Hawes designed this magnificent building situated on Cathedral Avenue in the heart of Geraldton.
Priest architect John Cyril Hawes arrived in Geraldton in 1915 to take up the parish priest position. He started work on the cathedral straight away. The cathedral’s foundation stone was laid in 1916 and the building was completed in 1938.
Today St Francis Xavier Cathedral is regarded as one of Monsignor Hawes finest works. Guided walks through the cathedral are available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 10am. A minimal fee applies.
For group bookings call Frank on (08) 9921 4756 or Kath on (08) 9964 4241.
Monsignor Hawes is also responsible for designing and building a number of chapels, churches and presbiteries around the Mid West area, some of which are open to the public.
Geraldton WA 6530
For more information contact the Geraldton Visitor Centre.